Sunday, August 14, 2011

Homemade Stuffing

or just as a side dish to enjoy!

Finding a packaged stuffing mix when dealing with MFA (multiple food allergies) is a task in itself, so I decided to attempt to make stuffing from scratch on my own.  And here is what I came up with!  Now, I will admit, it was a little bland, but feel free to add whatever spices you wish to play with the flavors.  If you do, be sure to post it up so I can try it next time!  It wasn't bad, just bland.  But, my family still gobbled it up!

Ingredients:

4-5 slices bread, can be fresh or stale, whichever you have on hand.  I used my homemade bread, for allergy reasons, fresh, and just tore it into small chunks.

*1/4 cup water

1 medium sized onion, chopped.

1 celery stalk, chopped.

1 apple, peeled and chopped.

1 teaspoon poultry seasoning (be sure to check ingredients).

A pinch of salt, a pinch of pepper.  I really like pepper, so added about half a teaspoon.


*I chose to sautee the onion and celery in 1/4 of butter (we use Earth Balance Vegan Soy free) and added that to the bread mixture, and omitted the water except for about 1 tablespoon. 

Add all ingredients together, put into casserole dish, cover and bake in a 350F oven for approx 1 hour.  If you like it a bit crispy, take the lid off for the last 15 minutes. 
Enjoy!








No comments:

Post a Comment