Sunday, August 14, 2011

Beet Chips anyone?

I've never heard of Beet chips before (yes, I guess I live somewhat of a sheltered life) but someone had mentioned them and my ever curious when it comes to foods mind, wanted to find out more about these!  Now, we are very lucky that during the summer, there is a fantastic Farmer's Market within walking distance from our home.  Tons and tons of fresh, ready to prepare and eat fruits, vegetables, and meats.  I quickly ran over to the market to buy some Beets to attempt to make these interesting sounding treats.

I looked on the internet to find a simple recipe for the chips, but as I was looking, I started to realize that you don't really need a recipe to follow. 
So this is the recipe that I'm using.

A couple of Beets (I used 2 medium size ones and got two cookie sheets worth of slices)
Salt
Olive oil in an oil sprayer

Cut off stem of beets and peel the outer layer off with a peeler.
With a very sharp knife, and very carefully, slice the beets very thinly, like a potato chip.  I've read some people use a Mandoline, but I don't own one.
Place on an oiled (use your sprayer) cookie sheet.  Try not to overlap beet slices.
Spray beets with a bit of E.V.O.O and add a bit of salt.

Bake in a 350 F oven for 40 minutes, flipping slices and respray some more oil on them after 20 minutes.  Keep an eye on them so they don't burn.

They should crisp up as they cool.


I forgot to take a picture of them after they came out of the oven, and as much as the rest of my family enjoyed them, I didn't find them wonderful.  But, they liked them and they are a healthier alternative to the traditional potato chip, so they will be made again!   Perhaps I can tweak the recipe a bit here and there and find a way to make them so I like them too!

No comments:

Post a Comment