Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Vegetable Chowder with Cheese


*PLEASE NOTE: CONTAINS DAIRY*




There are very few recipes on my blog that contain any of the allergens we typically avoid in my family however, this soup is delicious, so I had to share the recipe.  I have not tried this using a milk or cheese substitute, but I think it would turn out just as good as the original recipe!  If you do make it without dairy, please let me know how it turns out!

Ingredients:

2 Tbsp butter or margarine (or substitute of choice)
1/2 cup onion, chopped finely
1 cup carrot, chopped finely
2 stalks of celery, chopped finely
1 Tbsp minced galic
4 cups chicken broth (be sure to check the ingredients or simply make your own)
2 large potatoes, peeled and chopped in tiny pieces
1 Tbsp flour
1/2 cup water
2/3 cup milk (or substitute)
2 cups broccoli, chopped
2 cups grated cheddar cheese (or substitute)

Instructions:

In a large pot (I use my Kitchen Aid cast iron pot), melt butter or margarine.  Add celery, onions, and carrots, and saute until onions are tender.
Toss in garlic and continue to saute for another couple of minutes.
Add broth and potatoes, bringing to boil and cooking until potatoes are tender.  In a bowl, mix flour and water together, and add to the pot.  Stir until soup thickens, add in milk and chopped broccoli and simmer just until the broccoli is soft and soup is heated through.  Add in grated cheese and allow to melt.  Add salt and pepper to taste.

This soup is wonderful!  This recipe makes a decent amount, but if you are serving more than 4 adults, I'd probably double the recipe.

There were no leftovers when I made this!  I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!



No comments:

Post a Comment