Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Shepherds Pie

There really is no better comfort food than Shepherds Pie.  It's easy and filling, and just an all round easy to please everyone type of dish.

I decided to see what I could come up with, using a bag of Original CheeCha Puffs, and it actually turned out really good!  My family loved the crunch factor!



*Dairy, Soy, Egg, Nut and Gluten Free*



Ingredients:

1.5 pounds lean ground beef (or meat alternative)
1/2-1 onion, chopped finely
1-2 cups vegetables, fresh or frozen (all I had was corn, but carrots and peas would be wonderful too.)
4-5 potatoes (more or less, depending how thick you want the "crust")
4 Tbsp butter or margarine (we use Earth Balance Soy Free)
1/2 cup beef broth (check ingredients on the brand you use)
1 tsp worcestershire sauce (we use Lea & Perrins brand)
1/2 bag CheeCha Puffs, original flavor, crushed.  (I put them in a cloth bag and smooshed them with my hands.)
Salt and Pepper, to taste
Pinch of paprika
Grated cheese (we use Daiya, cheddar style shreds)



Instructions:

Boil peeled potatoes, once cooked, add in 2 tbsp butter and mash.  Set aside.  

In large frying pan,  melt 2 tbsp butter and brown the ground beef.  Drain off any fat.  Put ground beef back into the pan, add in onion and any vegetables.  I would suggest if you're using fresh carrots, that you steam them prior to using them or they might not be cooked through.  
Add worcestershire sauce into the pan, as well as the beef broth.  If you find your meat mixture getting dry, you can add more broth than what's called for in the recipe.  Simmer over low heat for approximately 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Add in salt and pepper.

In a casserole dish, place beef and veggie mixture.  Spoon mashed potatoes on top, and spread out to cover the meat and veggie mixture.  I find it's easiest to spread and flatten the potatoes using a fork.

Add a layer of grated cheese on top of the potatoes, as well as the crushed up CheeCha Puffs.  I took my pinch (which actually was probably a few pinches) of paprika, to add some color.

Everything is cooked already, so all you're really doing at this point is heating it all up, melting the cheese and browning the wonderfully crunchy topping you've added.

Bake in a 400F oven for 15-30 minutes, keeping an eye open to make sure nothing burns.

In the past, I've browned  the potatoes simply by putting the oven on broil, but I would think that if you're using any type of topping, they'd burn that way.


This meal was filling, and my taste testers (4 and 6 years old) gave it two thumbs up!

I'll definitely be making this again, I might even make a few to put in the freezer to have for a night when we need an easy and quick dinner!



No comments:

Post a Comment