Friday, July 22, 2011

It's just one day

This is comment that came out of my husbands mouth tonight.  We were invited out to dinner at a restaurant tomorrow night, with the kids.  We pretty much never go out to eat, at least not with the kids, for obvious reasons.  It's just not safe, or the easiest thing to do.  But, there is alot of out of province family here right now and they all want to get together. 

I had expressed my fears, my frustrations and my worries to my husband about taking not one, but two allergic kids to a restaurant that we've never been to before.  Now, his comment had nothing to do with our egg allergic son, he has anaphylaxis to egg and all egg product, so there is never any messing around with that allergy.  His comment was in regards to our MSPI child, who's reactions are IgG mediated, which basically means that they are not immediate reactions, nor can you see them (unlike hives).  His reactions are inside and ingesting the offending foods, in his case, milk and soy protein......can actually do damage to his body.  He sort of brushed off my concerns and told me, our son would be fine eating there, it's just one day.  I'll admit, I was a bit ticked at that comment.  Ticked and surprised.  But it also made me realize that alot of people think, if you can't see something, it must not really be there.  Like an invisible disease, or disability.  Something to think about anyway.

I've been freezing meals for situations such as this one, so if we do go, it will all be fine.  And my husband has quickly learned that in this house, and in my family, allergies and intolerance will not have needless risks attached to them. 

Now, off to grab a meal from the freezer to thaw!

No comments:

Post a Comment