Sunday, July 17, 2011

"Eat from as close to the ground as you can"

Honestly, how can you go wrong?  No additives, preservatives, or processed junk.  All natural.  I think, with the growing number of allergic people, and with it getting more and more difficult for some families to safely accomodate allergy free meals, eating from as close to the ground as you can, is a great motto. 

We walked over to the Farmer's Market yesterday morning, and picked up some beautiful red and green leaf lettuce, carrots, parsley, and swiss chard.  I've never made swiss chard, but with my mother in laws advice, it seems pretty easy.  And nutritious.  So I'll make it tonight, then make some more to freeze for another day, another easy side dish.  I also bought 5 links of smoked sausage from a local farmer.  I find that the farmers put very little into their meats, which is awesome for everyone, but even better for people with MFA (multiple food allergies).  It certainly makes serving a safe meal, an easy task! 

I wish we had year round farmers markets, but where we live, it just isn't possible.  You pay a bit more for the food but I'd far rather pay more for fresh, quality foods that you know comes from local sources.  And supporting local can never be a bad thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment