Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Soft Molasses Cookies

What a treat!  These turned out so wonderful! 
Be sure to make a lot of them, they will go fast.  This, I can assure you!







3/4 cup shortening (be sure to check ingredients if allergies are involved)
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup molasses (I used cooking molasses)

2 & 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt (I may decrease to 1/4 tsp, I found them a tad on the salty side, but either way will work)
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp nutmeg


Cream together shortening and sugar.  Add egg (or egg replacer) and molasses, stir until creamy.
In separate bowl, combine all dry ingredients.  Fold into molasses mixture and stir until combined.  Cover, and refrigerate for 1-2 hours until well chilled. 
Once chilled, roll into smallish balls, roll in white sugar, and place on a greased (I use parchment paper) cookie sheet. 
Bake at 350F for 9-10 minutes.

**IMPORTANT STEP, DO NOT SKIP**
Leave the cookies on the cookie sheet for 1 minute.  After that minute, remove onto rack to cool. 


Now, I will admit that I forgot to add one key ingredient.  The egg (or in our case, the egg replacer) and they still turned out wonderful!  I was a little concerned, but lets just say I'm having a hard time keeping the cookies from being devoured! 

No comments:

Post a Comment