Wednesday, December 21, 2011

The BEST Lemon Loaf!

I decided to tweak and try this recipe and I must say, the entire loaf almost disappeared in an hour!  This was fantastic! 
Please do not make the mistake I made by using a stone loaf pan, when you try to remove very hot items from stone, they tend to break.  Next time I make this, I will use a lightly greased glass loaf pan.



1/2 butter, 1/2 cup margarine or 1/2 cup shortening (I used shortening, I was almost out of our *safe* margarine)
1 cup sugar
2 eggs or replacements (I used 1/2 tsp baking powder and 2 tbsp water for each egg called for)
1/2 cup milk (I used original rice milk)
1 & 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
rind from one lemon




GLAZE
juice from one lemon
1/4 cup sugar
*while bread is baking, I make my glaze, but not too early as it needs to be liquidy to put onto bread.  Over medium heat, dissolve sugar and lemon juice, in a saucepan*

Cream butter and sugar in large bowl.
Add eggs or replacement, mixing until creamy.  NOTE: if using shortening, texture will not seem smooth, this is okay.
Blend in milk.

In another bowl, mix flour, baking powder, salt and lemon rind.
Pour into the batter, stirring until moist.
Pour into greased loaf pan.
Bake at 350F for 55-60 minutes.
Let cool for 5 minutes
Remove to rack while loaf is still hot, and use a toothpick to poke holes all over the top of the bread.  Spoon glaze over the top (be sure to have a plate underneath, this can and will get messy)
Allow to cool before slicing into it.

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment