Saturday, March 9, 2013

Cinnamon Rolls, with a twist! (Bread machine)

Recently, I purchased a HUGE tub of delicious coconut oil.  Coconut oil has so many health benefits, and there is nothing I don't love about it.  So, I decided to try to create cinnamon buns using coconut oil!  They turned out amazingly!  Please forgive the shape of some of them, but really, it's all about how they taste, right???


*Egg, Dairy, Soy and nut/tree nut free*




Ingredients:

1 cup of rice milk or water (coconut milk would be great too I'd expect), heated for about 1 minute in the microwave
1/4 cup of warm water
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup coconut oil
2 eggs (I use 1/2 tsp baking powder & 2 Tbsp water for each egg called for)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup sugar
5 cups flour
3 tsp yeast

In order listed, add to your bread machine pan.  Use dough setting.  Warning......this may rise a ton.  My dough was touching the glass lid of my bread machine.  It was huge!

Once dough cycle has finished, divide dough in half.  (I only do this because it fits on my wood cutting board better if I do it in two parts).  On a floured counter, roll dough into a rectangle shape.  Brush the rolled out dough with liquid coconut oil and sprinkle a decent amount of the following mixture onto the entire surface of the dough.

1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tsp ground cinnamon
Roll the dough tightly, resembling a log.  Divide into 6 equal parts and put into a greased (yes, you guessed it.........I greased my glass baking dish with coconut oil!) 10X14" baking dish or pan.

Repeat using the second half of the dough.

Cover with a tea towel and allow to rise from 45-60 minutes in a warm, draft free spot.  The dough should almost double in size, and almost be touching the bun next to it.

In a 350F oven, bake for 20-25 minutes or until the cinnamon buns are a nice golden brown color.

While the buns are cooling, mix a simple glaze together using the following ingredients.  Please note, I did not really measure the following, but it turned out fine.

Approximately 1 cup icing sugar
Approximately 1-2 tsp vanilla
A bit of water
And you guessed it, coconut oil!  I found the coconut oil just took a bit of the sweetness of the glaze away.

These look amazing and taste even better!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment